Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability

Loulouda Bosnea, T Moschakis, C Biliaderis, Poonam Singh - Nee Nigam

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Abstract

Two probiotic strains of Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei (E6) and Lactobacillus paraplantarum (B1), isolated from traditional Greek dairy products, were microencapsulated by complex coacervation using whey protein isolate (WPI, 3% w/v) and gum arabic (GA, 3% w/v) solutions mixed at different polymer ratio (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1). The effect of total biopolymer concentration on cell viability was assessed using WPI and GA solutions of 1, 3 and 6% w/v at a constant ratio of 2:1. Several parameters were examined for optimization of the microcapsule formation, such as inoculum concentration and the effect of ionic strength. The viability of the bacterial cells during heat treatment and under simulated gut conditions was evaluated. Among the different WPI/GA weight ratios tested (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1), the highest survival rate was observed for the coact:rvate structures made with the ratio of2:1. The protection efficiency at low pH values was influenced by both concentration and the ratio of the added biopolymers. Moreover, the inoculum concentration seems to affect the efficiency of microcapsules to entrap the bacterial cells since an optimum level was noted at less than 8 log cfu/ml. Generally, entrapment of lactobacilliin the complex coacervate structure enhanced the viability of the microorganisms when exposed to a low pH environment (pH 2.0). Both encapsulated strains retained high viability in simulated gastric juice (>73%), especially in comparison with non-encapsulated (free) cells (
LanguageEnglish
Title of host publicationUnknown Host Publication
Pages28-28
Number of pages1
Publication statusAccepted/In press - 16 Nov 2017
Event58th Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologists of India & International Symposium on - Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, India
Duration: 16 Nov 2017 → …

Conference

Conference58th Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologists of India & International Symposium on
Period16/11/17 → …

Fingerprint

probiotics
biopolymers
viability
bacteria
inoculum
Lactobacillus paraplantarum
Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei
gastric juice
gum arabic
whey protein isolate
cells
ionic strength
dairy products
cell viability
polymers
digestive system
survival rate
heat treatment
microorganisms

Keywords

  • Probiotics
  • Lactobacillus

Cite this

Bosnea, L., Moschakis, T., Biliaderis, C., & Singh - Nee Nigam, P. (Accepted/In press). Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability. In Unknown Host Publication (pp. 28-28)
Bosnea, Loulouda ; Moschakis, T ; Biliaderis, C ; Singh - Nee Nigam, Poonam. / Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability. Unknown Host Publication. 2017. pp. 28-28
@inproceedings{7ff0a1facd384b75828284a38aa39b9c,
title = "Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability",
abstract = "Two probiotic strains of Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei (E6) and Lactobacillus paraplantarum (B1), isolated from traditional Greek dairy products, were microencapsulated by complex coacervation using whey protein isolate (WPI, 3{\%} w/v) and gum arabic (GA, 3{\%} w/v) solutions mixed at different polymer ratio (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1). The effect of total biopolymer concentration on cell viability was assessed using WPI and GA solutions of 1, 3 and 6{\%} w/v at a constant ratio of 2:1. Several parameters were examined for optimization of the microcapsule formation, such as inoculum concentration and the effect of ionic strength. The viability of the bacterial cells during heat treatment and under simulated gut conditions was evaluated. Among the different WPI/GA weight ratios tested (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1), the highest survival rate was observed for the coact:rvate structures made with the ratio of2:1. The protection efficiency at low pH values was influenced by both concentration and the ratio of the added biopolymers. Moreover, the inoculum concentration seems to affect the efficiency of microcapsules to entrap the bacterial cells since an optimum level was noted at less than 8 log cfu/ml. Generally, entrapment of lactobacilliin the complex coacervate structure enhanced the viability of the microorganisms when exposed to a low pH environment (pH 2.0). Both encapsulated strains retained high viability in simulated gastric juice (>73{\%}), especially in comparison with non-encapsulated (free) cells (",
keywords = "Probiotics, Lactobacillus",
author = "Loulouda Bosnea and T Moschakis and C Biliaderis and {Singh - Nee Nigam}, Poonam",
year = "2017",
month = "11",
day = "16",
language = "English",
pages = "28--28",
booktitle = "Unknown Host Publication",

}

Bosnea, L, Moschakis, T, Biliaderis, C & Singh - Nee Nigam, P 2017, Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability. in Unknown Host Publication. pp. 28-28, 58th Annual Conference of Association of Microbiologists of India & International Symposium on, 16/11/17.

Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability. / Bosnea, Loulouda; Moschakis, T; Biliaderis, C; Singh - Nee Nigam, Poonam.

Unknown Host Publication. 2017. p. 28-28.

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

TY - GEN

T1 - Complex coacervates of encapsulated probiotic bacteria: role of polymerratio and concentration on their viability

AU - Bosnea, Loulouda

AU - Moschakis, T

AU - Biliaderis, C

AU - Singh - Nee Nigam, Poonam

PY - 2017/11/16

Y1 - 2017/11/16

N2 - Two probiotic strains of Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei (E6) and Lactobacillus paraplantarum (B1), isolated from traditional Greek dairy products, were microencapsulated by complex coacervation using whey protein isolate (WPI, 3% w/v) and gum arabic (GA, 3% w/v) solutions mixed at different polymer ratio (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1). The effect of total biopolymer concentration on cell viability was assessed using WPI and GA solutions of 1, 3 and 6% w/v at a constant ratio of 2:1. Several parameters were examined for optimization of the microcapsule formation, such as inoculum concentration and the effect of ionic strength. The viability of the bacterial cells during heat treatment and under simulated gut conditions was evaluated. Among the different WPI/GA weight ratios tested (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1), the highest survival rate was observed for the coact:rvate structures made with the ratio of2:1. The protection efficiency at low pH values was influenced by both concentration and the ratio of the added biopolymers. Moreover, the inoculum concentration seems to affect the efficiency of microcapsules to entrap the bacterial cells since an optimum level was noted at less than 8 log cfu/ml. Generally, entrapment of lactobacilliin the complex coacervate structure enhanced the viability of the microorganisms when exposed to a low pH environment (pH 2.0). Both encapsulated strains retained high viability in simulated gastric juice (>73%), especially in comparison with non-encapsulated (free) cells (

AB - Two probiotic strains of Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei (E6) and Lactobacillus paraplantarum (B1), isolated from traditional Greek dairy products, were microencapsulated by complex coacervation using whey protein isolate (WPI, 3% w/v) and gum arabic (GA, 3% w/v) solutions mixed at different polymer ratio (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1). The effect of total biopolymer concentration on cell viability was assessed using WPI and GA solutions of 1, 3 and 6% w/v at a constant ratio of 2:1. Several parameters were examined for optimization of the microcapsule formation, such as inoculum concentration and the effect of ionic strength. The viability of the bacterial cells during heat treatment and under simulated gut conditions was evaluated. Among the different WPI/GA weight ratios tested (1:1, 2:1 and 4:1), the highest survival rate was observed for the coact:rvate structures made with the ratio of2:1. The protection efficiency at low pH values was influenced by both concentration and the ratio of the added biopolymers. Moreover, the inoculum concentration seems to affect the efficiency of microcapsules to entrap the bacterial cells since an optimum level was noted at less than 8 log cfu/ml. Generally, entrapment of lactobacilliin the complex coacervate structure enhanced the viability of the microorganisms when exposed to a low pH environment (pH 2.0). Both encapsulated strains retained high viability in simulated gastric juice (>73%), especially in comparison with non-encapsulated (free) cells (

KW - Probiotics

KW - Lactobacillus

M3 - Conference contribution

SP - 28

EP - 28

BT - Unknown Host Publication

ER -