A Public Health practitioner educated to Master’s degree level with a proven track record of achieving positive results within areas of deprivation.
Experience includes presenting and lecturing on health promotion to varied audiences.
Currently lecturing in Pulmonary Respiration, Cancer and Cardiac Rehabilitation, Mental Health, also Diabetes and Obesity; level 4 (REPS) and GP Exercise Referral schemes Level 3.
- Research/Development: Currently researching sedentary behaviours and mental well being in older people.
- Recent projects include an investigation into the effects of a 12 week walking Programme onhypercholesterolemic men age 45-65 years. This was part of a major research project run with Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol University and Frenchay Hospital.
- Other research includes relapse to smoking cessation post-partum.
- Project Management: Lead for Secondary Care, Pregnancy and Pharmacies
- Utilised project management skills to successfully run several projects in partnership with Sport Wales, including Fit Kids – designed to promote physical activity amongst young people in marginalised communities.
- Presentation/Communication: Experience includes training F1s and F2s (junior doctors), midwives and health visitors in local Hospitals and Healthcare practices.
- Previous experience includes lecturing at University of the West of England and FE Colleges.
- Public Engagement: Able to engage with individuals of all ages and backgrounds as demonstrated through my work with schools, colleges, professionals and the general public.
- Currently a Lecturer in Cancer, Cardiac, Obesity, Diabetes and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, Mental Health and GP Exercise Referral
- Healthy Lifestyle Advisor for GP Referral to Exercise Schemes. Mentoring and training potential GP referral instructors and Assessing Cardiac, Pulmonary-respiratory and falls prevention clients.
- Health Improvement Specialist Practitioner– Public Health Directorate, NHS – 2008 –2015
Lead for Secondary Care, Pregnancy and Pharmacies
- Lectured and presented material to junior doctors, midwives and health visitors
- Training advisors in prisons, surgeries, schools, youth centres, hospitals, universities and colleges and workplace settings
- Coordinate a steering group promoting smoke free hospitals
- Support and manage pharmacies in South Gloucestershire including regulating payments for products used
- Provide face-to-face support, health improvement advice and guidance for parents of children in hospital, pregnant and post-natal smokers
- Visiting Lecturer in Health Promotion - University of the West of England - 2007
- Senior Health & Fitness Duty Officer - University of the West of England - 2005-2008
- Co-ordinated and managed the Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase 1V Programme with Frenchay and Southmead Hospital
- Worked with Elite Athletes writing programmes and monitoring their progress
- Managed and ran the studio class timetable
- Line management responsibilities
- UK Athletics Coaching - 2004-2005 - Assisted the senior athletics triple jump coach at the National Indoor Athletic Centre, Cardiff in order to improve elite athletes’ technique and stamina
- Healthy Lifestyle Lecturer - College, Bristol - 2002
- 15- week contract organising and running workshops, seminars and exercise programmes.
- Health and Fitness Instructor - Leisure Centre, Wales - 1997-2002
- Supervised individuals in the gym, offered health/fitness advice, planned and implemented personal training programmes.
- Fundraiser - Lepra – 2002 (PT)
- Gave presentations and ran exercise-based workshops in schools nationwide to raise awareness of leprosy
- Physical Activity & Health Lecturer - Gwent Tertiary College - 1985-1997
- Taught Year 1 and 2 PE Foundation in accordance with the National Curriculum
- Health & Fitness Consultant - 1987-2015 (PT, self employed and employed)
- Working with the health and fitness team to promote exercise awareness and advice
- Running my own fitness classes corresponding with member’s needs
- MSc Public Health, University of The West of England (2011)
- BSc Hons, Sport, University of Wales (2002-2005)
- Certificate in Education Caerleon University (Grade 1, 1986)
- Certificate in counselling, Newport College (1985)
- Mental Health (Wright Foundation) 2017
- Cancer Rehabilitation Level 4. 2016
- VTCT Assessor
- Older People’s Exercise Programmer, 2015 (OTAGO, OEP)
- Accredited trainer of Midwives (RCM)
- ASSIST Trainer
- Maudsley training Smoking Cessation level 3
- BACR Phase 1V Cardiac Rehabilitation Course –November 2006
- GP Referral Course, 2005
- UKA Athletics Coaching Course and Primary School Coaching Certificate, UKA (2003)
- Qualified in First Aid and Health and Safety at work
Interests and achievements:
Research in Health and Rehabilitation
Open Water Diving Course, PADI, 2006
Yoga Fitness Course, 2005
Register of Exercise Professionals, Advanced Instructor Level 4, REP (2002-present day)
Body Pump Instructor’s Course – Pass with Excellence, Fitness Professionals, London (2000)
Spin-Cycle Course/Advanced Spin-Cycle Certificate, Keiser International (1999)
Advance Instructor Certificate for Fit Kids, Fitness Wales (1999)
Aqua Fitness Course – Pass with Distinction, Fitness Wales (1998)
Gym and Free Weights Instructor Certificate – (1992)
Qualified Step Instructor, (1987)
Qualified Exercise to Music, level 2
Master, University of the West of England
Bachelor, University of Wales
21 Sep 2002 → 9 Jun 2005